In the summer of 1922, Rev. Charles E. Stevens, then Pastor of Sixteenth Street Baptist Church, began cottage meetings in the village. Such interest was shown that the organization of another Baptist church would soon become a reality. In that year, Stevens Memorial Baptist Church was organized with thirteen charter members. Rev. W.H. Wilson was called as the first pastor. The first meeting was held in a small house in the village. There Rev. Stevens initiated revival meetings that resulted in numerous conversions and additions to the church.
A larger meeting place was soon required. So, in 1923, a lot out on Church Street Extension was bought and a new building for worship was begun. In September of that year a sanctuary and two classrooms were completed. As the Lord blessed and growth continued, property in the next block out Church Street Extension was purchased in 1954. Shortly thereafter, ground was broken for the construction of the building we now enjoy. It consist of a sanctuary and a thirty-two class room educational facility. The first service was held on Sunday morning, August, 1955 with a overflowing congregation.
Stevens Memorial Baptist Church embodies a group of saved Bible believers seeking to know Christ more fully and to make Him known to others. We are dedicated to a ministry that is rooted in Christ and express love for Him and for one another. We praise God for His truth and trust in His continued blessings for the days to come.
STEVENS MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH